Hacknight

On Thursday we had out Hacknight. I’d like to give some results and impressions of that event, but the fact that I closed the door at ~3.30 am tells me that it was quite successful. Honestly, I didn’t expect more than 5 participants (in fact we were 9 participants). However, I’ll split the summary of the Hacknight in two posts, this one about the plan, preparations and what some problems we had. A second one will tell s/th about results we made and the next steps.

We started at 5 pm with some introductory words and gave an idea of OLPC, the activities in Rwanda and our own project. After a short Python intro, a coarse idea of how Sugar and activities are wired together was procured. We didn’t get into details here, because we had some special challenges to investigate which mostly hadn’t to much dependency to Sugar. These challenges were:

  • Collaboration: Exchange some status data
  • OLPC Server: Setup an XS to serve as OSM tile server
  • GPS: Positioning and tracing
  • Openlayers & Co.: Javascript and Python communication

This is definitely not an exhaustive list, one could investigate when new to OLPC, Sugar and activities, but enough for one event, I guess.

For the first part we setup a development environment on the notebook of each participant. This was a bit more combersome I expected. We installed a Fedora system with sugar on a portable VirtualBox which we then copied on each machine. With a zipped 2.5 GB file not to fast, though. Unfortunately on some machines it didn’t run at all :(. After all, installing VirtualBox and using the harddisk from the portable one worked.

I created an eclipse package with yoxos which is a tool to create an eclipse package containing all plugins, preferences, settings etc. you might want to use for a project with several participants. Stupidly, it did not fulfill some security issues the Fedora system required (I’m not a Fedora geek), so we had to install it from sources with appropriate plugins (which is not too hard, thanks to these great package manager systems).

Sugar and Emulator was already installed on the virtual harddisk so we only had to checkout the project code and link it in the ~/Activities directory. Yes, I could have done this on the virtual harddisk before, though, .. touche. At least,f or the next time the environment is prepared ;-).

The next post will give a summary of some results we made.

Ein Gedanke zu „Hacknight

  1. Pingback: Second project meeting - GeospatialLearning@PrimarySchool

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.